WHAT IDENTIFICATION IS ACCEPTABLE?
The DOJ requires certified fingerprint rollers accept only current, valid, and unexpired picture identification documents as a primary valid identification. As such, a certified fingerprint roller must examine the photo identification presented to ensure all of the following:
• The personal descriptor information (name, gender, date of birth, etc.) matches the information provided on the Request for
Live Scan Service form (BCIA 8016FP).
• The expiration date has not elapsed.
•The photograph reasonably resembles the applicant's physical appearance.
Acceptable primary forms of photo identification include any of the following:
• California Driver's License
• Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card
• Out-of-state driver's license
However, in the absence of a primary form of identification, a certified fingerprint roller may accept one or more of the following as secondary forms of identification, but only with two of the supplemental documents noted below:
• State government issued Certificate of Birth
• U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military Identification Card (000 10-2)
• U.S. Passport
• Federal government Personal Identity Verification Card (PIV)
• Department of Defense Common Access Card
• U.S. Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs Identification Card
• Social Security Card
• Court Order for Name Change/Gender Change/Adoption/Divorce
• Marriage Certificate (Government issued certificate)
• U.S. Government-issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad 3
• Foreign Passport with appropriate immigration document(s)
• Certificate of Citizenship (N560)
• Certificate of Naturalization (N550)
• INS I-551 Resident Alien Card issued since 1997
• INS 1-688 Temporary Resident Identification Card
• INS I-688B, I-766 Employment Authorization Card
Please note: When validating the authenticity of secondary identification documents and forms, the data and information need to be supported by at least two of the following supplemental documents:
• Utility bill (address)
• Jurisdictional voter registration card
• Vehicle registration card/title
• Paycheck stub with name/address
• Spouse/parent affidavit
• Canceled check or bank statement
• Mortgage documents
When supplemental documentation does not support the validation of the original identification documents, the certified fingerprint roller should not accept the form of identification as valid and not fingerprint the applicant.